Send an Email
If it is enabled on your site, you can use the Send Email page to send an email to a combination of individual users and group members. Emails sent through the Skillport system are not stored within Skillport for accessing at a later date; as an alternative, include yourself as one of the recipients so you receive and can retain a copy in your default email application.
If you have an email address set in your profile, you are identified as the sender. If you do not, Skillport uses a generic and unmonitored "sender" email address (to which users cannot reply).
Note: Do not use this feature for time-sensitive communications. For guidelines on how to test email delivery, contact your Learning Consultant or Application Engineer at Skillsoft. Skillsoft does not accept liability for non-delivery of emails due to circumstances beyond its control, such as a local network outage.
To send an email
- Click Users & Groups > Send Email on the navigation bar.
- Specify the users to whom to send the email:
- Click To.
The Email To window displays; in the left pane, the users and groups to which you have access privileges display.
- To add users to the recipient list, select the users and/or groups in the left pane, and click Add. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the selection into the right pane.
If desired, you can search for a group by group name or org code, or search for a user by login name, first name, last name, or email address. Use an asterisk (*) as a wild card that represents one or more characters.
You cannot enter email addresses manually; you must select the users and groups from the group hierarchy. You cannot add individual users who do not have a defined email address; these users are highlighted in red.
If you add a group to the recipient list, both the members of the selected group and those in its subgroups will receive the email (if they have defined email addresses).
- To remove users or groups from the email, select the users or groups in the right pane, and click Remove.
- Click OK.
Note: There is a supporting User Management system email template called Ad-hoc Email for this page. By default, the system template is empty. However, if your site uses a custom version of this template, you may see some default but editable text on the page. While the language-specific template that is shown to you depends on the default site language of your Skillport site, you can enter text in any desired language.
- In Subject, type the subject of the email. You can enter a maximum of 255 characters.
- In Body, type the email message. You can enter a maximum of 1,073,741,822 characters.
The message can include a combination of plain text, symbols (accessible via the button), hyperlinks, and images. You cannot include fields; these controls are disabled.
The following screenshot shows an example email:
- To add a hyperlink:
- Select the text to convert to a hyperlink, and click .
The Insert/edit link dialog box appears.
- In Link URL, enter the Uniform Resource Locator (URL). This value is required. The URL must be complete and begin with
- In Target, specify whether the URL should be launched in a new browser window or the existing browser window. If you do not specify a value, the hyperlink is launched in a new window. Be aware that this setting affects browser-based email clients only, and the recipient’s own browser settings determine whether or not it is respected. Non-browser-based email clients always use a new window.
- In Title, enter a short description. In browser-based email clients only, this appears as a tool tip when the user moves the cursor over the hyperlink.
Note: The Class setting is not used.
- Click Insert.
- To remove a hyperlink, place the cursor on the link, and click .
- To add an image:
- Put the cursor in the desired location, and click .
The Insert/edit image dialog box appears.
- In Image URL, enter the complete URL for the location of the image. The image must be a JPEG or GIF file that is hosted on a web site elsewhere. In the recipient's email, the URL will render as a link that, if clicked, will display the image itself. This value is required.
- In Image description, enter a description of the image. In text-only environments (browsers that cannot display inline images), this text is displayed instead of the image. This value is required.
- In Alignment, select how to align the image relative to the line of text in which it is inserted. For example, select Left to align the image with the left margin and have the text wrap around the image's right side.
- In Dimensions, enter in pixels the size (width x height) of the image if you want it to be resized before being inserted into the email.
- In Border, enter in pixels the width of the border to add around the image.
- In Vertical space, enter in pixels the width of the padding to add before and after the image.
- In Horizontal space, enter in pixels the width of the padding to add to the left and right of the image.
- Click Insert.
- If desired, format the text using the toolbar buttons in the Body section.
- Click Send, and then click OK.
The email is sent immediately. However, there may be a delay in when it is received, based on the number of recipients and other email being processed. You will receive a confirmation email when your email is sent. See Non-Customizable Emails for an example of what this email contains.