Create Learning Plan Assignments by Audience
As you work to determine your dates,
To create a learning plan assignment for an audience
- Click Audiences > Learning Plan Assignments.
- Locate the audience in the list that displays.
- Click the Actions drop down and select Assign. The Learning Plan Assignments page displays.
- Under the Select from Library section, select one or more courses from the list.
- From the Type drop down, select either Required or Optional. Required assignments have a due date; optional assignments do not have a due date.
- Default value: Required.
- If you set an assignment to optional:
- You cannot set due dates or recurrences. These do not show to users.
- You can only see optional assignments in reports after a user completes them. You cannot see optional assignments in reports if they are not started or in progress.
- You cannot use standard or custom email notifications to notify users of optional assignments.
- Set the Passing Threshold: the score required for a user to achieve a completion. Some SCORM course players control the passing threshold in the course player and will not adhere to the passing threshold set in the LMS.
- Default value: 100%.
- Under Initial Training, select one of the following options:
Optionally, use the search filter to narrow the list of audiences displayed. For instance, enter "man" to return all audiences with "manager" in the name.
Optionally, click View Users to a list of users within this audience.
Optionally, narrow the list of courses by selecting a value from the Show drop down, or search for a course or learning program by title.
When you select a course or learning program for assignment, understand the impact to completion if a learner's audience changes.
- Course is due [n] days after receiving requirement.
Enter the number of days the learner has to complete the assignment after it's added to the Learning Plan.
- Course is due by [date].
Enter the calendar date the course is due. Due dates and completion dates are in Eastern time.Notes:
Learners who receive this assignment after the initial due date passes (such as when added to an audience the course is already assigned to) automatically receive an initial due date for the same date the following year. The system will not allow learners to be overdue immediately upon assignment.
For best practice, if users are frequently added to this audience, for example if the audience is for "New Hires," select the "Course is due in [n] days" option.
- Default value: Course is due in 90 days after receiving requirement.
- Default value: 90 days.
- Recurring by Completion Date (RCD). This is the most stringent assignment type. Users are required to take the course on a recurring basis, and their next due date is calculated from their last completion date. Recurrence is based on the number of days, weeks, or years entered here. After a user completes the course, his or her next due date will be calculated as last completion plus the validity period. You will also specify how many days prior to the recurring due date the course will display or become available on the user’s Learning plan. To make the course available immediately, this number must be one day less than the recurrence period. For example, if you select that the course is due 365 days from the user’s previous completions, and you want to make the course available to the user immediately, the availability value must be set to 364 days.
- Recurring by Due Date (RDD) or Calendar-based. This assignment type allows you to specify a calendar date when all users will be due, regardless of past completion dates. The course will be required on a recurring basis depending on the number of days, weeks or years entered here. In this case, a user’s next due date is calculated as previous due date plus the validity period.
- One Time Only. Learning plan assignments of this type are required only once for users.
- Default value: RCD with course due 365 days from user's previous completion.
- Default value: 90 days.
Optionally, in the Notes field add more information about the assignment. Notes display on the Add and Edit Learning Plan Assignments pages.
The learning plan assignment(s) is added to the list of Current Assignments for [audience], and to the Learning Plan Assignments page for each user in the audience.
If you assign courses or learning programs at the audience level in compliance:
Course completion: If a change in user attributes causes a learner to be removed from an audience that has a course assignment, and that learner has started but not completed the course, the learner's progress will be lost. This is true even if the user gets added to a different audience with that same course assignment.